The mission of the Local Democracy Initiative is to strengthen federalism and local democracy by promoting representative democratic systems, strengthening participatory and inclusive governance, and supporting effective multi-level governance arrangements that improve the ability of federal, state, and local governments to work together cooperatively, efficiently, and effectively.
We seek to bring together researchers, policy makers, government officials and citizens to:
- Bring together and share existing knowledge on federalism and local governance;
- Engage in evidence-based research and analyze the state of representative democracy at the local level in the United States;
- Promote representative democratic systems at all government levels;
- Identify emerging intergovernmental issues, trends, and turning points;
- Stimulate thought about American federalism and intergovernmental relationships;
- Educate leaders and the public about the impacts of local governance and intergovernmental reforms;
- Promote stronger intergovernmental communication, cooperation, and coordination as the critical basis for an effective federal system across all government levels.